Happy Sunday DMI: This week in Digital Media Innovation we’re going to start exploring how entrepreneurial perspectives are influencing news media companies and the overall industry.
To help you start learning more about life as an entrepreneur I suggest you start following news media outlets that cover this specific area. Here are a few great places to start:
Sign up for the free enewsletters offered by these organizations. This gets you great news headlines delivered right to your inbox. You’ll want to start a collection of key content focusing on the industry areas you are most excited about. For example:
- Moving the Needle: Your Guide to the Future of Fashion
- What Jay Z’s Tidal Gains by Selling a Stake to Sprint
And, you’ll want to track approaches to entrepreneurial journalism:
- Mastering the art of disruptive innovation in journalism
- ProPublica is leading a nationwide effort to document hate crimes, with local and national partners
Have fun diving in this week. Use these resources to start contemplating The Problem you’ll dive into in a few weeks.
Image Source: Unsplash.com, CCZero license
Greetings DMIers. This Thursday we’ll have the first our of entrepreneur guest speakers. Our guests, Brittany Comas and Ally Dukkers, graduated from the Chico State J&PR program with the news option and are currently running various social media platforms for The Hunt.
The Hunt is a fashion startup located in San Francisco. The company’s about page explains that it “is a community powered mobile app that is transforming the way that people shop online. By empowering peers to suggest products for each other, The Hunt taps into the personal shopper inside all of us and creates a positive community centered on fashion and individual style.”
Brittany and Ally are going to discuss:
- Career path: how they moved from reporters at The Orion to social media goddesses in San Francisco.
- Their jobs at The Hunt
- What it’s like working for a technology startup
- How your journalism skill sets translate well to startup companies
- Recommendations for landing jobs in the tech space
I’m sure our guests can give you a wealth of ideas for your digital media product concepts. Do your research and bring lots of questions.