Monday’s class will focus on financial issues — how can you make money with your journalistic skills and how does this financial ability link to your business plan.
Prior to Monday’s class be sure to:
- Check out Briggs Chapter 3: Make Your Money Plan
- Read Paul Graham’s Ramen Profitable post
- Review The Business Plan assignment
We’ll have a hands-on activity to help you get started with the financial decision-making process for your startup.
Deadline Changes & Homework Notes
From our last class session:
- Homework 3: is not due until Monday, Sept. 30. Today, you should be close to finalizing your research plan and your product sketch, while starting to reach out to your potential market.
- Homework 4: all you need to have ready for Monday is an idea regarding who you would like to target for this task. Just basics — why this person, how does she/he connect to your interests in startups or being an entrepreneur. Don’t worry about the rest of the tasks listed in the assignment.
- Tomorrow’s Blog: is about product naming. Bring to class ideas for your product’s name and we’ll do a short critique.
I will be around tomorrow if you need assistance or access to the Mac Lab. Otherwise, have a fabulous weekend and best of luck with your market research.
Yesterday’s new business ideas covered a wide range of industries: fashion, games, food, travel and outdoor recreation. I’ve come across resources with interesting links to your ideas you may choose to investigate:
- Music industry: Check out Ghetto Web Blaster created by Matt Kiser, an alum of our journalism program.
- Those interested in fashion might want to check out the latest issue of Entrepreneur as it has a spread titled “Style Files” featuring several interesting businesses.
- The same issue of Entrepreneur has a story on gamification and how it’s being used in a wide range of industries for both internal and external audiences.
- And of course, check out blogs from your peers who highlighted industry movers and shakers.
Topics on Upcoming Challenges
We also discussed taglines that some of you were contemplating. Inc. Magazine has a feature titled, “Is Your Tagline a Help or a Hindrance.”
And we discussed that you’re going to have to identify how to make money with your startup. Here’s a great piece to digest from Paul Carr about his journalism “somewhat-weekly newsletter” NSFWCORP I found on PandoDaily.